Elderly man suffers 35% burns to his body in Banbury fire

He was unconscious when crews rescued him from his flat this morning.

It's believed the man fell asleep whilst smoking a cigarette.

Crews from Banbury and Deddington were called to Miller Road at 2:30, and forced entry to the property.

They gave him first aid and oxygen, before the South Central Ambulance Service took over his care.

The man - who was conscious and alert when he left the incident - is now being treated at Stoke Mandeville hospital for burns.

A fire investigation is ongoing. 

Crew Manager Knibbs said: "The fire service was alerted to this incident by a neighbour whose smoke alarm was sounding, and had awoken him. This highlights the importance of having working smoking alarms in your property" 


 

More from Oxfordshire News

JACK 2 Hits

Nobody To Love by Sigma

JACK fm

Hush by Kula Shaker

JACK 3 & Chill

You Are The Sunshine Of My Life by Stevie Wonder